Taking a little break from the basement this week to finish up a quilting project. Yesterday I did the last of the quilting on my black and white "Quilts with Love" quilt, and today I hope to get the binding sewn on. That might be a stretch, however, because I'm going with my daughter this morning for her ultrasound appointment! Hopefully by lunchtime, we'll know if we're having a boy or a girl. I'm very excited, and not at all sure I'll be able to concentrate on sewing. On the other hand, if we do find out, I'm going to be itching to work on a quilt for the little one, so I'll have a little extra motivation to get this one finished up:
I guess we'll just see how it goes...
Well, I was right. I was much too excited to feel like sewing this afternoon -- but -- I did it anyway. Gotta love Tackle it Tuesday! Since I definitely wasn't up for hours of handstitching, I decided to attach the binding to the back of the quilt and then experiment with the fancy stitches on my new machine to sew it down to the front. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out:
It doesn't have the "perfect" look of a handstitched binding, but it will definitely hold up to lots of wear and tear, which I'm sure it'll experience out in the Iraqi desert. The quilt is in the wash now, but I'll post a picture of it tomorrow before I send it off to Quilts with Love.
And for those who might be curious about the ultrasound... we have a very healthy grandson on the way! It's most definitely a boy. According to the ultrasound tech, "without a doubt." So I'm seriously excited about getting into my little-boyish fabrics and making all kinds of new things for the little guy.
All in all, quite a productive day. ;o)