Friday, October 7, 2011

This, That, and the Other

I've been sewing like a maniac this week, attempting to catch up on my stacks and stacks of projects. I'm happy to report, I've made a ton of progress...

My first finish was this, the October "Get 'er Done" Challenge project. (I joined this challenge back in January, hoping to use up some of the panels I've collected over the years.) The Snowman Draft Stopper is one of the few panels I actually bought for myself. Most of my collection came from other peoples' stashes.

He's cute, if not actually useful. (His legs aren't long enough to span the doorway, so not likely to stop many drafts.) I think he'll end up on the mantle or hearth this winter.

I was impressed with all the details, especially his little jacket, complete with buttonholes.

I also got a few more fruit blocks finished for my October UFO Challenge project; the pineapple, strawberries, lemon and lime. (The lime is actually a filler block, because I somehow forgot to download the last block-of-the-month pattern back when they were free to download. argh.)

I'm beginning to think the Fruit Quilt could actually be finished this month, too! So, there's that.

And the other... well, lately I've been thinking a lot about making some things to sell. I attempted this about 15 years ago, before I had internet access, so I was limited to schlepping bins of stuff around to craft sales where I had minimal success. Needless to say, that endeavor was short-lived. But every so often, someone will ask me if I have any quilts for sale, and heaven knows we could use the money. I'm thinking it might be time to give selling another try. So... I need to start building an inventory.

Earlier this year, I had made a simple baby quilt top out of fabric leftover from another project. I figured it would be as good a start as any. Just had to add a border, quilt and bind...

And I had some good-quality, bright yellow/gold flannel on hand, so used it for the backing. Maybe not exactly what I would have chosen, but I think it works. It's super cozy, and it reminds me of a giraffe. :o) Does anyone know what you would call this type of print? Tie dye? It's kind of batik-y with the floral design. Is there such a thing as batik flannel?? I don't know...

Back/front...

And these are the labels I used for my original craft business. Might as well keep the same name and use these up!

This is getting really long, but there's just one more thing. My daughter asked me a long time ago if I would make a sheet and pillowcase to go with the John Deere quilt I made for my grandson earlier this year. I bought the fabric months ago, but didn't get around to the sewing until this week, the day before his third birthday. (I can't believe how fast he's growing up!) So the sheet and pillowcase are now a birthday gift...

If you're going to drag your feet on a project, at least make it look like it was intentional! hehe

(Be sure to stop by Amy's Sew & Tell Fridays and see what everyone else has been up to this week!)

3 comments:

Chris H said...

Awww that snowman is so darn cute!

ktquilts said...

Love that snowman!!! great projects!!

Quilter Kathy said...

You have accomplished so much...wow! Love the fruit blocks!