Saturday, January 29, 2011

UFO Challenge: January Finish!

I've been trying to keep from showing a full photo of this quilt in my weekly updates, just so I could have a big "reveal" with the final post. Finally the time has come! I really didn't think I could do it, but yes, it is finished -- and with a few days to spare. Now I know what I'm capable of if I just set my mind to something!

And here it is, my no-longer-a-UFO, hand-appliqued rose quilt...


The finished size is approximately 52" x 67." Hard to tell from this picture, but it is a large wallhanging. This photo gives a better size reference:


As you can see, I had to pull the couch away from the wall to take the first picture. Some rearranging is in order if it's going to live in this room permanently. That big ball of fluff is our cat, Sarabi, who came to live with us from the shelter last summer. It hasn't taken her long to make herself at home.

Here she is, glaring at our other cat, Reesa, and staking her claim on the cushiest spot in the living room.

"Mine."


She was so meek and skittish when she first moved in, and scared to death of Reesa... but I feel the balance of power is shifting. lol

I've been blogging my progress on this quilt weekly throughout the month, so if you'd like to see closeups of the blocks, sashings, etc., here are links to my previous posts:

Week One
Week Two
Week Three

And just as a reminder, here is where this one started out, just a few short weeks ago:


Two blocks and a dream... lol

Can't wait to see what February has in store, but I'll admit, I'm hoping it'll be one of my easier-to-finish projects. I need a break!

32 comments:

Chris H said...

It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!
You did an amazing job Heather.

Rabid Quilter from California said...

What a lovely quilt! A lot of work for sure. I hope some day to complete an entire hand-appliques quilt. Great job!

Mary said...

Awesome Quilt. You did a wonderful job.

Debbie said...

You had a tough project to start out with in this challenge...I'm so impressed! Lovely

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Congrats on your finish.
It is truly beaufitul
glen: and the kitty is pretty too!

Katie said...

You did all that in just a month? Wow! It's goergous. What a fantastic finish. Beautiful kitty, too.

Becky said...

It is so pretty! I'm with you....I want an easier one!

Chris said...

Just beautiful. Bravo on a job well done :)

Donna~~ said...

Wow--I can't believe all you accomplished in January! It's lovely!

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

wow, some marathon work in January for you. Great finish!

Carol said...

I'm really impressed with what you managed to accomplish in one month! It's a beautiful quilt. It looks like a pattern I have buried somewhere for "someday".

Jo said...

Oh...what a worker you were. Hopefully the new UFO #10 won't be quite so challenging for you. It's a beauty.

Becky said...

Beautiful, beautiful! Congrats on the finish.

dq said...

That is certainly a great deal of beautiful work! You are so lucky to have your quilted as well. Mine will be in the to quilt pile for awhile. I need to get some other UFOs assembled.

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow! I think you did more work than most of us to accomplish this finish in January...way to go! Bet you feel great!

Jennifer said...

wow! that's ALOT of progress for just one month! great job!

BetsyE said...

Impressive! Nice work!

Melinda said...

Congratulations, Heather. Your quilt is spectacular. What a feat.

Dionne said...

Two blocks and a dream... Love it! Your really finished this one up nicely!
Cheers,
Dionne

Rachel Slote-Brown said...

Wow, your quilt is beautiful. Congrats on finishing it.
Your cat is beautiful too :)

Connie said...

Wow - that's impressive to go from two blocks to a finished hand-appliqued quilt in a month. It's beautiful!

Lee Ann L. said...

That is a beautiful quilt. Congrats on completing a UFO challenge!

sunday said...

Beautiful work! I dream of doing an one like this someday.

Diana said...

I am extremely impressed. That was a lot of work for a one month challenge but I know what you mean about NOW you want to prove you can do it. Wonderful job and the finished result is gorgeous! You have inspired me to work hard in February to get mine done!
Congrats.

Unknown said...

Wow, hand quilted! It is beautiful. Congratulations on finishing. Love Sarabi's brown fur :-)

Candy said...

Wow1 It is beautiful. You got a lot done in 1 month.

Ann said...

Great job! What an achievement.
Ann

SewCalGal said...

Wow. Spectacular quilt. You did a fantastic job. And I'm amazed that you finished this in January. Woo hoo. This definitely needs a celebration. Congratulations!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

sao said...

Your January finish is spectacular and your cat loos VERY HAPPY TOO..what a cutie!

It is pretty amazing that you visited all of the January visits with dial-up internet too!

CONGRATULATIONS!
sao in Midlothian, VA
www.shirleyannesheart.com

swooze said...

Congrats! Nice finish.

Unknown said...

beautiful! I Love applique...although I still have not had the guts to try it!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful quilt! Your applique is wonderful!