Wednesday, February 23, 2011

UFO Challenge: February Finish!

This month's goal for the Patchwork Times UFO Challenge was one of the sewing projects I used to fill in for the (unbelieveable!) lack of unfinished quilts that I have left to work on. (It also provided a much-needed break after finishing my crazy-intense January project!)

Lucky number 10 -- Tim's Fleece Vest -- last appeared here as a pattern, a zipper and a bunch of yellow fleece in a pile in my sewing room:


All chosen by my 12-year-old son, who wanted fleece vests in his favorite color combo, yellow and black. I finished the black one right away, but then the holidays were upon us, and the yellow was put on the back burner while I focused on other projects. (Sewing clothing is not my favorite thing, so any excuse to procrastinate will do!)

He seemed very happy with Vest #1.


However, in the three months that followed, I never once saw him wear it. So I made a slight change in the plans and decided to go with a different pattern.


This pattern is adult sized, but I figured if it was way too big, he would eventually grow into it. I chose the zip-up hoodie (thinking he might actually wear that), size small, cut it out and sewed it up yesterday. Amazing how quickly something like that goes once you just get started! It's a little large, but that makes it cozy and leaves room for layering. Anyway, he seems to love it...


...but time will tell.

The real question is... will he ever cut his hair? :o)

5 comments:

Chris H said...

Well done!
I used to make most of my kids fleece clothes.
I really must try doing it again.

BetsyE said...

Really nice looking! I gave up sewing clothing years ago - but you keep it up! :-)

Jo said...

Good for you...I haven't sewn clothes for quite awhile...patch yes but sew..NO!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

He's a doll! Looks great in his yellow fleece too. I made one like this in SF Giants (baseball) fleece and LOVE it! You're a good mom!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great job on the jacket! I have a 12 year old grandson and his hair is long too, it wasn't long ago he kept it short, short so I guess it is the age thing.