Friday, December 9, 2011

Sew & Tell Friday: The Last UFOs...

... on my challenge list, that is. Of course I've managed to create a few more this year, but with the motivation of the Patchwork Times UFO Challenge, the pile is considerably smaller now! The last three on my list were all finished this week.

My December challenge was the Perfect Pouches kit that I won in a FabShopHop several years ago:

Embarrassingly easy to finish. I don't know why these have waited around for so long! Beautiful fabrics by Peggy Toole for Robert Kaufman:

And now for the last of the catching-up. I finally got around to my April project, finishing "Seasons of the Heart," a 2009 BOM designed by Sandi Anderson of A Legacy of Stitches.

I finished all the blocks on time (fusible applique, blanket-stitched by hand), but then got hung up on the setting and never finished -- until now. Finally decided to just set them together without sashings and make another wall hanging. My first quilt done completely in homespun. For the quilting, I just outlined the appliques and then stippled the background of each block and the border. This photo was taken after washing. Check out that crinkling!

I used my leftover homespun pieces and a couple of orphan blocks to piece the backing:

Love how it turned out looking so primitive (which conveniently makes a few little mishaps here and there just fit right in). And it's so cuddly! Makes me want a bed quilt done all in homespun. :o)

Finished size, approximately 29" x 37"

Last but not least, the Sampler Baby Quilt. I made this top on a whim one evening, using a bunch of random orphan blocks leftover from swaps and earlier projects. I just never got around to quilting it, so this became my July challenge project:

I wanted to get this one done quickly, so I just did a simple meander quilting over the whole thing. I'm getting more and more accustomed to free-motion quilting. Just a few jaggedy spots here and there:

The backing is Dianna Marcum for Marcus Brothers:

Here it is finished and fresh from the dryer (finished size, 36" x 44"):

More crinkly goodness:

I found a home for this one just this week, which is what really motivated me to get it done so quickly. It will be donated to our church's compassion committee for a family in need and expecting a baby girl in January. I think sometimes UFOs happen because the need for that particular quilt has yet to arise. As always, God has perfect timing. ;o)

And that's the last of my 2011 UFO Challenge! I have a couple more panels to finish up for the "Get 'er Done" Challenge, and lots of Christmas sewing yet to do, but other than one sentimental UFO waiting for the perfect time to finish, I have no more unfinished sewing projects started before 2011. That's pretty incredible.

Thanks so much for visiting -- and for reading through this LONG post. LoL Be sure to stop by Amylouwho's for more Sew & Tell Friday!

12 comments:

Leslie said...

wow! you have been busy! love all your projects :) especially all the homespun fabrics :)

Grandma G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandma G said...

Way to go on getting so much FINISHED! It's all beautiful, but I especially love the "Seasons of the Heart"!

Dayna said...

You have been working hard! I'm inspired! I just need a quilting buddy to hold my hand and help me to venture out more.

Rene' said...

Congratulations Heather on your many finishes! Love the primitive look of your wallhanging, and your baby sampler quilt will be much appreciated by the family I am sure. Thanks for showing a close up of your quilting...I love the meandering stitches!

Kleep said...

I love all that crinkly goodness. What a sweet baby quilt!

Chris H said...

All your finishes are just GORGEOUS! I feel inspired!

Diane said...

Visiting from the UFO linky! These all look great! Love how the homespun washed up.

AnnieO said...

Way to go! Love your block on block setting and backing with the homespuns, and the bags and baby quilt too. Finishes feel so good!

Donna~~ said...

I envy how caught up on UFO's you are! Congrats on your 2011 finishes--you've been busy!

JudyCinNC said...

I just love all of your finishes. The little pouches were surely a really big hit. Judy C

Jennifer said...

looks great! love the calendar sampler! i finally got all my UFOs for 2012 posted, can't wait for the next number!