Friday, November 18, 2011

A Sentimental Sew & Tell...

Made lots of progress on my sewing "to-do's" for this week: Finish shoe blocks for UFO challenge (and the top is ready to quilt!)
Add borders, layer and pin my mom's birthday quilt
Plan two baby quilts that I need to start on soon! (hopefully cutting/sewing this weekend!)
Get started on my November "Get 'er Done" pillow project (Started yesterday and finished today, just in time for Sew & Tell Friday at Amylouwho's!)

My November "Get 'er Done Challenge" project was four throw pillows made from this Psalm 23 panel:

I was given this panel by a friend who was clearing out some of her stash, and she also gave me some coordinating fabric for the pillow backs. I was particularly happy to see this panel among the rest, because it had special significance to me... but more on that in a bit.

On past pillow projects, I sort of muddled my way through on the zippers. This time around, I found a really nice tutorial by Erin at the House on Hill Road blog, which resulted in perfect zippers for my pillows. If you've struggled with pillow zippers like I have, be sure and check out this link: Put a Zipper in Your Pillow

Here are my finished pillows, showing the fronts and backs. There are two sets, so I have one to keep, and one to give as a gift:

And I have to keep one set, because when I first discovered this fabric collection back in fall 2005, I bought the wall hanging panel without a second thought. The horse in the picture so reminded me of my sweet Tristan, who had passed away that April. Both the resemblance and the timing were just uncanny. Here's the wall hanging I finished in 2006, in her memory.

And now I have pillows to match. :o)

I still think of Tristan and get to reminiscing whenever I see this fabric. She was a part of my life from age 11 to 39. We literally grew up together. I have pictures of myself riding her when I was just a little girl, and pictures of my kids riding her at the same age I was then. Twenty-eight years is a long time with one pet -- she truly was family.

Tristan with baby AJ, 1986

And even after all these years, I still miss her...

7 comments:

Grandma G said...

I love your pillows, and especially your Tristan story. I'm a horse lover, too... how great to have one in your life for that long!

Carla said...

Perfect pillows! What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

You have really gotten a lot done this week. I love the stories behind the panels and pillows.

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

I love what you did with those panels. I have the 23rd Psalm one and that is it and it is in my stack of things "to do next." Nice to see it done up.

bethanndodd said...

Wow, you have been busy!! The pillows are lovely. Losing a family pet is so hard. What a wonderful way to remember Tristan. We still have pictures of our Rottie on our family wall, she passed away 6 years ago. They truly are part of the family. Thank you for sharing your story.
Smiles~Beth

Cherie in St Louis said...

Heather, I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog :) I came over to check out your blog and love the pillow cover tutorial you've linked to. Clear, step by step directions that makes me think even I could do it. What a wonderful life you had with Tristan...it hurts when our pets die but they enrich our lives so much.

Rene' said...

Heather, such lovely pillows!!! Thanks for sharing Tristan's story too.