Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Better Home Challenge: The Never Ending Kitchen Project and the Deck Reveal (So To Speak)

I know, I know... I'm SO behind! I have to apologize to anyone who has been following along on this challenge. My May project (the kitchen) dragged into June and my June project (the deck and front porch) barely got started before it was July. The July project should be #8 (in case you've been wondering), the garage, but I think I'm going to pass on that one and try to get the kitchen finished before I dig into anything else. Meanwhile, I do have a few progress pictures to share. I'm still working on it. Really, I am!

Last week, we finally got our kitchen floor done. Here's the "before:"

It doesn't look so bad in the picture, but it actually had lots of nicks and cuts in it, a seam right through the middle of the room, and the surface was so worn down, there was no getting it really clean anymore. Here's the new tile:

Such a big change, it's taken some getting used to, but it's definitely growing on me.

And... we got a new oven! Self-cleaning, with a solid cook top. Something I've been wishing for ever since we moved in here 14 years ago. We thought the old oven was a goner a few years back. I was this close to a new one -- but my hubby fixed it. He's awesome. He can fix anything. And we couldn't afford a new one then anyway... (Though I admit that for a moment, I didn't think it was so awesome that he really could fix any stupid thing.)

AND there's a new dishwasher. Yay! (The tile extends underneath the dishwasher now, so if this one should ever spring a leak, the floor will be somewhat protected.)

We have a new refrigerator on order, too, which should be here sometime this week. Our last new appliances were purchased in 1988, and those went with the house when we sold it. Even if we do nothing else in this house for the rest of the year, I'm a happy camper. But there's baseboard trim and the window to replace yet before the kitchen is DONE. That is, assuming I make up my mind that I like the new paint color. I'm still not really feeling it. (Story of my painting life. LoL)

As for the deck project, I didn't get far. My hubby did get the umbrella fixed for our patio table. It blew off the deck last summer and broke a couple of the spines. Now, it's good as new. (He really is awesome.)

And I did get the deck stained. Here's a picture I took halfway through, so you can see there really is a difference!

Between all the rain and everything else going on, I didn't get any of the railings done, but I did slap a coat of paint over the peeling spots, to make it look a little nicer for our annual 4th of July party. We plan to replace those top rails with composite decking eventually, so I won't have to paint them ever, ever again. For now, this will have to do.

We replaced a few rotting boards, too, the ones that are a different color than the rest. They'll all be evenly faded in a couple years -- and ready for staining again. LoL

This next one shows the before and after. The completely different flowers in bloom in the garden beyond show just how much time passed between "before" and "after." LoL

Not nearly what I had hoped to accomplish here, but better than nothing at all!

And the front porch? Nothing at all. In fact, I'll bet that damned snowboard is still up there right now... argh.

So before I get to feeling any more behind, I'm setting a goal to finish the kitchen by the end of July, and then start fresh with a new project in August. Hopefully the planets will align, everyone involved will cooperate, and I'll be back on track again!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Major pat on the back...you are doing great!

Leslie said...

I agree with the above comment! you did great!!! everything looks amazing and your place is beautiful and outside is so green, I wish here in AZ we had that much green!
I think we might have the same kitty too, from the backside of yours, it looks a lot like my kitty :)

Chris H said...

Wow what a difference in your kitchen with the new floor and appliances! Love it.
The deck is awesome too... such a good size.

Anonymous said...

Awesome work, Sis! You so deserved the new appliances and I love the kitchen floor. I don't know were all this energy is coming from... can you send some my way?