Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Better Home Challenge: April Reveal

Previous Posts on April's Project:
Before Pictures
Mid-Month Progress

I'll admit, I nearly ran out of steam on my master bedroom project this month, but with one more big push today, I actually finished just under the wire. When I last posted, I was in the middle of (several days of) wallpaper stripping. After that, I painted the ceiling, and then finally got around to choosing a wall color. But buying new bedding, curtains and such was not in the budget, so I decided to pull out the round robin quilt I finished for our bed a few years back, and use that for my color inspiration.

I had in mind to go with a periwinkle blue, but I learned my lesson well with the bathroom project and quickly steered away from my first choice (the brightest one, of course, coincidentally called "Pure Periwinkle") and toned it way down to the second one down on the top left, "Essence of Blue." It turned out plenty periwinkle.

I'm still using my lace curtains (one of the things I'd like to replace) but before I hung those, I put up some new mini-blinds, which will really help keep things cooler in the summertime.

I also bought some new purple sheets, a cream eyelet bed skirt to help brighten up my slightly-faded quilt, pillow shams (Better Homes and Gardens "Baylee" collection from Walmart) and some fluffy new pillows for our bed. I love how the embroidered design on the shams mimics the appliqued border on the quilt. I didn't even realize that when I bought them.

The adhesive lettering above the headboard was purchased at Kohl's. Loving these wall decals!

Another new purchase was the two nightstands I bought just today. They're actually end tables from the Avington Collection at Target. Nothing fancy, but for the first time in our almost-26-years of marriage, we finally have matching nightstands. Eventually, I'd like to have a pair of matching lamps, as well. And there will be plenty of books stacked up on that shelf before you know it.

A few shots of the finished room. It's so relaxing without all the clutter!

(Still on the big "wish list," though -- NEW CARPET.)

And here's a little reminder of where it all started... the before and afters!

Finally got the TV off of my dresser -- yes!

Oh yes, I did get that closet cleaned out -- and painted, too!

One drawback to all of this de-cluttering is that I suddenly have a lot of stuff piling up that needs a new home. I don't necessarily want to get rid of it all, though. Maybe I'll use it in other rooms, or pass it on to my kids. But until I decide, what the heck am I going to do with it all? There's a hefty pile in both the upstairs and downstairs hallways, and my sewing room is catching the overflow. So I think that's the next thing I need to tackle... after I draw my May project tomorrow...

... I'm SO not ready for another project...

Oh, one more thing, I finally got those wall decals up in the bathroom and wanted to share a picture. They couldn't have been more perfect. LoVe them!

Okay, off to bed now, in my new room. Ahh... And back tomorrow with my next punishment project!

8 comments:

Jean said...

This looks awesome Heather. What a difference! I love the new decals in the bathroom. I missed the post about stripping wallpaper, will have to go back and check it out. You have done a fabulous job. I want to tackle a few projects this summer too, though the summer doesn't usually last long enough to get it all done!

Debbie said...

Wow...I think your bedroom looks great! It really looks like a restful place. You are amazing.

Krochet4kids said...

oh Heather, you are doing such a great job, paint color is perfect! Glad you didn't go with your first instinct, looks like you might have a new career in interior design! Paula

Betty Lou said...

What an amazing difference, makes you want to spend time in your bedroom, so inviting.

Anonymous said...

Good job Mommy! It looks great! You can go all interior-designer on my room anytime you like.... :o) - Em

Cindi said...

Looks very peaceful and restful. I have totally fallen down on trying to keep up with you. My #5 is my sewing room. A major clean up in there would do wonders.

Chris H said...

Another wonderful transformation! Well done.

Fresh Promotions said...

Now a Days many companies become most popular on the globe by using lots of promotional products such as promotional pens, items, gifts, waterman pens, bags and keyrings, it also gives the good results in market. Thanks for sharing the information…..