Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Where are Your Shoes and Socks?

I had my doubts about finishing my UFO Challenge project for November. What with it being an applique project, with Thanksgiving and my daughter's birthday imminent, and all the while experiencing that panicky feeling of "Only XX shopping (and sewing) days until Christmas!" BUT... I did it. Whew!

The project was Pat Sloan's 2006 BOM, "Where are Your Shoes and Socks?" I had seven of my 12 blocks finished, and an assortment of shoe prints collected for borders, etc.

My first new blocks finished were the July "Sneakers" and August "Summer Wedding" blocks:

Which got me motivated enough to quickly finish September's "Saddle Shoes,"

November's "Slippers,"

and December's "Mrs. Santa's Fancy Shoes."

(I was auditioning embellishments here, but ended up going with just the lace bows.)

Once the blocks were done, I couldn't wait to get the top together. It took some digging to come up with the best sashing print, but I ended up with this green polka dot, which I just love, and a tiny green floral for the cornerstones.

And for the borders, I went with two of my shoe prints that pulled all the blue, white and green together really well!

I used the leftovers and my remaining shoe prints for the crazy-pieced back. I'm not thrilled with how this looks. I wish I'd spent a little more time arranging, maybe cut the pieces a bit smaller, and had the good sense to save a piece of shoe print for the hanging sleeve (duh). I was in a rush, and it shows. Fortunately, it's the back and it's a wall hanging, so it won't be seen much. LoL

And here it is, all ready to hang... somewhere. Finished size, approximately 36"x46"

Such a fun little quilt, I don't know why I didn't get it done sooner! I still haven't decided for sure where it will live, but I'm thrilled to have it finished after all these years!


Update 12/1/11 -- Still playing catch up on the Challenge, and just yesterday I finished my May project #9, a new bag For the Birthday Girl!

13 comments:

Shellie said...

That's such a fun looking quilt and I love the way you pieced the back! Congrats on the finish.

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh it turned out so cool! The borders are just right and I love the back. Congrats. Now be sure and let Pat Sloan know.

Cathy said...

It is WONDERFUL!!! And I don't see a thing wrong with the backing. I like how you did it on the diagonal, just to change things up a bit. It is perfect, just perfect.

Sue H said...

What a fun quilt, and so nicely done! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and commenting. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love the great shoe fabrics you found for the borders! What a fun quilt!

Jean said...

This is so cute! Great job getting another GED done!

Becky said...

How fun! Love the back - I'm almost ready to do one, and I will have to think about on point like yours!

JudyCinNC said...

What ever do you mean? I love the back and the quilt is so wonderful and fun. Good finish. Judy C

Katie said...

Very cute. I love the fuzzy bunny slippers! And the shoe prints for borders is absolute genius. The back looks good to me, too, but we're all our own worst critics, right? Congrats on another finish!

Jennifer said...

so cute! and i love the sunflower clogs...

Donna~~ said...

Great finish--those blocks look so fun and your shoe borders are perfect! I like your back too! Congrats on your finish(es)!

Anonymous said...

The Christmas shoes are my favorites. Great finish!

CoyoteMagic said...

Is it possible you have a copy of this free pattern. I've tried to download from various site only to find dead links. I would love to use part of this as elements of my Relay for Life quilt.