Friday, October 14, 2011

Sew & Tell Friday

It's Sew & Tell Friday again... another busy week, sewing up a storm, and a little more progress made in the "catching up on my challenges" challenge. The further I get on these projects, the more motivated I am to get caught up before the year ends, despite being several months behind. I'm so glad to have this burst of sewing energy hit me now. I just hope it lasts awhile...

First accomplishment this week, my April "Get 'er Done" challenge project, the Pledge of Allegiance wall hanging. Here's the panel before (after being folded up in a box for far too long):

And after, borders added, quilted and bound:

I actually had this one ready to quilt back in June, but got stuck on the "how to quilt" question, as usual. Since my attempt at free-motion last month went relatively well, I thought I should give it another shot on this one. With the help of my quilting buddies, I figured out my tension dilemma was due to a loose top thread (my thread holder thingie was cracked and not keeping the spool tight on the spool holder), and this time it went extremely well. I think I'm actually getting the hang of it! I see many more stippled quilts in my future...

With that one finished I have started on the next, which is the Quilter's Wall Hanging (my June "Get 'er Done" project). Here's the "before":

I've been having a lot of fun with this one, and look forward to seeing it hang on my sewing room wall very soon. I've separated the blocks and rearranged them into more of a square with sashings. It should fit perfectly on the wall above my sewing cabinet, and it's ready to quilt and bind -- hopefully a finish for next week...

I'm getting closer and closer on the Fresh Fruit quilt (my October UFO challenge project). Sewed the last of my paper pieced fruit blocks this week:

Watermelon, apples, oranges, cherries and a kiwi fruit (I love, love, love the watermelon block!)

A few of the blocks needed some embroidered details (watermelon and kiwi seeds, etc.), so I did that yesterday:

So now I'm ready to set these together and finish this little quilt. It's going to be a lot smaller than I realized when I started these blocks years ago -- which is a good thing. I think it'll actually fit on the limited wall space in my kitchen. :o)

I find that when I'm going through these productive phases, I prefer to have several projects going at once. Ideally, something to piece in my upstairs sewing room, handwork or quilting to do downstairs while watching TV, and something in the planning/cutting stage. That way, I can go from one project to another when I need a change of pace.

This week, I cut the pieces for 40 Bug Jar blocks for an upcoming swap, and finished embroidering this 6" block for my mom. (My sisters and I are making her a quilt for her 80th birthday in December.)

(I started this block months ago, but thankfully was inspired to finish it while embroidering those fruit blocks.) Now I just need to do something simple for my kids' and grandson's blocks... December will be here before you know it!

(I just found out about "Finish it Up Friday" at Crazy Mom Quilts, so I'm linking there, too. I can use all the motivation I can get!)

6 comments:

Nicole @ Patchwork Duck Designs said...

I love the fresh fruit quilt blocks! Whimsical and fun. Found you through your comment on my blog. Thanks for stopping by, and keep up the wonderful sewing!

Jean said...

YOu have been a busy lady! Love the fruits and you mom's block especially, and glad that your quilting adventure is going better!

Kristen said...

Keep it up! I love the fruit blocks! I am glad the free motion is going better!

Miranda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. All of the projects on your blog are beautiful! I love home made quilts but it feels like they take ssooo long :) Your grandson is adorable! I've been having a nice time looking around your blog :)

Alli said...

Whoah, those paper-pieced fruit are impressive! I love the detail you added with embroidery -- I thought they looked great without the seeds, but then I saw the next picture and thought they looked fantastic! :)

Amanda Jean said...

congrats on your finish! (I know all about needing all the motivation that you can get!) :)

thanks so much for linking up to finish it up Friday!