Monday, October 24, 2011

"Fresh Fruit" Finished!

One of the reasons I really enjoy sewing and quilting is that when I finish something, it's finished for good, unlike so many other things I do every day (i.e., laundry, cleaning, paperwork, etc., etc.) But some finishes are even more rewarding than others, and this is one of them. I never expected to actually get it done. I didn't have a place for it, or any particular use for it in mind. I enjoy a little paper-piecing now and then, but I tend to lose momentum rather quickly once I start. For the past five years, this has never been made a priority to finish... but thanks to the UFO Challenge at Patchwork Times, it's done. I'm so pumped!

So, this is what I started out with, three finished blocks, a stack of patterns, and the overwhelming feeling that I would, once again, not be finishing my challenge project for the month...

But I gave it a go anyway, and found that these little blocks really aren't all that time-consuming...

Being rather challenge motivated, I decided to go for it and finished these blocks the first week...

... these blocks the second week...

... and embroidered a few embellishments...

I forgot to take any pictures when I set the top together. It was a bit of a challenge, because back in 2006, I managed to forget the last two downloads, the final "plum" block (I subbed an extra cherry and made the lime using the lemon pattern), and the instructions for final assembly. I had to use Claudia's photo of her finished quilt and wing it, and I think I managed fairly well, the biggest difference being the border. I loved the effect of Claudia's "point" border, but without her instructions, I was clueless on how they were done, so I decided on Prairie Points instead.

The quilting is stitch-in-the-ditch around each fruit, dense stippling on the background, and then a larger meander on the border behind the Prairie Points.

I wanted the fruits to "pop," and pop they did! But the watermelon popped a bit more than I liked, so I thought it needed a bit of quilting to keep it under control. You can barely see it, but I quilted the word "Fresh" across the watermelon. I purposely used green thread, because I didn't really trust my quilting, and wanted it to be not-so-obvious in case it looked awful. LoL

For the backing, I found this apple print in my stash, almost too cute to be hidden on the back, but it was just too perfect not to use.

And the fabric had a large apple border that worked perfectly for a hanging sleeve...

And here it is, the final product...

It makes me happy when I look at it. :o)

The finished measurement is approximately 31" x 35," a bit large for my limited kitchen wall space. Just as well, though, as my daughter has already staked a claim on it. (She's good at that!) Wherever it winds up hanging, I love it. And I'm so glad I finished it!

(This pattern is available for sale at Claudia's Quilts. Just click on "All Patterns" and scroll down to "Fresh Fruit." She also has an ongoing free block-of-the-month for her newsletter subscribers. I have loads of her patterns! Maybe I'll make another one someday!)

**************************

(Added 11-1-11, for my fellow UFO Challengees)

October was an amazingly busy and productive month around here, and I hope that energy just keeps on flowing through November! I actually made some real progress in getting caught up with this challenge, finishing two more UFO projects I had failed to finish in June and August.

I'm holding a Fall Giveaway this week, to celebrate my 300th blog post! If you'd like to enter, just leave a comment on this post. And if you'd like another chance (or two!) to win, leave a comment on either or both of my other October finishes ("Curtains Up!" and "1930's Mini Quilt"). The drawing will be held this Friday, November 4th. Good luck!

23 comments:

Debbie said...

Wonderful job! It is amazing how participating in the UFO Challenge gives you just that extra push to finish. It is a great quilt.

Chris H said...

OK... that is JUST GORGEOUS! I love love love it.

Jean said...

I love love love this quilt....it is wonderful! You did a great job with the arrangement also!

Soile Kivinen said...

Absolutely lovely! You have found good colors for the fruits. They look really eatable : D

Jocelyn said...

Wow these look great! I've never done paper piecing before. But yours look beautiful

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - that is great. And you get a gold star for paperpiecing!!

Tracey said...

This is just beautiful, I don't blame your daughter, I'd claim it too.

Lynn said...

So impressive, it makes me want to rethink my decision to never paper piece again (after a disasterous experience).

Julie S said...

This wonderful quilt makes me think of my daughter's favorite book the first year of her life.... called 'Eating The Alphabet'. Each page had a letter of the alphabet and pictures of every fruit and vegetable that started with that letter! This quilt is like a blow up pic from the book! I love it!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job finishing up your fruit quilt. It must be very satisfying to have it done.

And thanks for the unique giveaway!

(supermomnocape at yahoo dot com)

Michelle said...

I can't decide which of the blocks I like best, they're all so pretty!

Mrsblocko said...

This quilt is amazing. Even the back is cool. The kiwi, pear and bananas are my favorite!

Mary5 said...

That is AMAZING! Your fabric choices are Gorgeous.~

Lucy~

Shannyn said...

I'm not brave enough to try that detailed of paper piecing! Well done!

Teressa P. said...

Beautiful quilt. I have fruit fabric that I'm trying to figure out how to use. This is lovely!

karen said...

Wow, that backing & hanging sleeve are perfect, & your paper piecing fruits are wonderful!

Lindsay Anne said...

Wow, very neat!

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a great quilt! Congrats on the finish...that was a lot of work! It would be perfect to hang in a market/deli store...or a kitchen!

Katie Z. said...

What a great quilt! I'm so impressed, not being a paper-piecer myself.

Jennifer said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the quilt. and the backing is perfect!

Donna~~ said...

Neat neat quilt! Those are great fruit blocks--each of them is lovely in its own way too. Absolutely perfect backing, and such a great use for the border! Congrats for powering through to the finish!

JudyCinNC said...

This is a happy and adorable quilt. Good Work. Judy C

shirley said...

i have one like that...only veggies. perhaps i need to put it on 2012's UFO list. LOL yours turned out cute. i know you're glad it's finally done.