Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Show and Tell: Nesting Treasures



It's Show and Tell day over at Kelli's House! I'm relatively new to Show and Tell, and I'm already having a hard time finding things worthy of showing! I think my post today is a bit unusual, but it does have a great story to go along with it. At least, I think so. ;o)

I have a thing for birds' nests. I'm amazed at the intricate, detailed work that goes into them. I'm inspired by the care taken in the construction of these little works of art, designed for the specific purpose of comforting and protecting their young. Like this one, for example, a high-walled, cozy little cubbyhole, tightly woven with soft, grayed moss. My dad found this one abandoned in his garage, and gifted it to me.


Besides this little beauty, I have a couple of nests that grace my Christmas tree each year (I've heard that this brings good luck for the coming year). However, there is one special nest that holds a place of honor in my china cabinet, year round. This is the one with the story behind it.

The story begins with an ending. In April of 2005, my friend and companion of 28 years, my horse, Tristan, passed away at the age of 35.


It was expected at her age, but still, a devastating loss. I had spent most of my life with this animal, from age eleven to thirty-nine. We had spent countless hours together, from long, lazy trail rides to high-energy horse shows and 4-H meets. We'd been through it all, including the births of seven babies (three of hers, four of my own). We were as close as a human and animal can be. Happy times, sad times, she was there.

And then, she was gone.

Shortly after she passed away, one of my kids found a tiny abandoned bird nest near the little barn where Tristan had lived, loosely woven from wispy grass -- topped off with a generous lining of Tristan's soft, white hair. It's not the most beautiful nest ever created, but to me, it's a treasure. A precious reminder of Tristan that I still cherish today.

12 comments:

Leah said...

i'm sorry about Tristan! i can hear in your 'voice' that you definitely loved her! what a precious momento of her life to have! thanks so much for sharing!!!

Constance said...

Yours is truly unique but I really LOVED it! Thanks so much for sharing not just the nests but about your specail friendship with one of God's creatures.

I got bounced today, somehow I didn't quite fit into the guidelines. That's okay, my post stands as is.
Connie

cherished*vintage said...

Great show and tell! The nest with hair from your beloved horse is just so neat. What a cool treasure to cherish!
-Karoline

j said...

Oh girl, I love the bird's nest with your pet's hair in it. That is so special. Be blessed! Jennifer

Char said...

What a wonderful show and tell. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your beautiful horse! How sweet that you found some of his hair lining a nest.

JEWELGIRL said...

So sad,a horse you spent so much of
your life with gone but the bright
spot you write about, finding the hair in the nest is so sweet.
Love travels in unique ways.
(Hugs)

Charlotte said...

This is a beautiful story. I've always been amazed by birds nests. A hummingbird built a nest on our patio on top of a windchime last year. It was the tiniest thing. Really amazing. I felt so terrible though when a storm came and the hummingbird didn't come back after that. The little nest is still there.

Nettie said...

What a beautiful story and lovely photos! You got me all teary here.

Kelli said...

What a touching story and your nest treasures are beautiful! Lovely keepsakes.
Hugs,
Kelli

nancy said...

A great post. Thank you for sharing your treasures and your heart today.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Awwww- your "Tristan" nest is beautiful! The beauty of the horses' spirit will be with you always! What a gift! Just beautiful~!
Blessings!
~W~