Friday, January 8, 2010

Sew & Tell Friday: Perfect Timing

So, once again, life has completely obliterated my attempts to blog. But, I'm back! For today, at least. LoL This is the first time I've even looked at a blog in over a month, and since it is Friday, I decided to go over to Amylouwho's place and see if she was still hosting Sew & Tell Fridays. Come to find that, just today, she posted the post-holiday "secret gift edition" of Sew & Tell. Apparently I'm not as far behind as I thought! Unless, of course, you take notice of my unseasonable Fall blog background... oh, well. I'll be caught up again, all in good time.

December was even more hectic than usual this year, what with juggling a new "part-time" job (which became suspiciously "full-time" during the holidays) along with all the normal Christmas to-do's. Ironically, working at a fabric store really makes a person want to sew, while simultaneously sapping all extra time from their day. Still, I did manage to squeeze in a project or two, all somehow brought about by my work.

For instance, cutting yard upon yard (or mile upon mile) of fleece for customers made me think, "Wouldn't fleece blankets make a great gift for all the kids on my list?" I had plenty of access to fabric, a little more money coming in than usual, and it wouldn't take a lot of time, I thought...


...until I ended up making twenty of them.


And of course, when the cotton Christmas prints went on sale, there were tempting yards and yards of those spread out before me every day. For the most part, I resisted, but I just had to take home and quilt this "Year of Santas" panel to go with my collection of Santas.


Consequently, I had little time for actual decorating, so most of my Santas didn't see the light of day. LoL But I did get out a few...

Then there was Secret Santa. Everyone at work drew a name and gave an anonymous gift to a co-worker. I decided to make something quilty for my recipient, so along with a few other small goodies, I added this little mini-quilt to her gift:


I should mention that I opened my Secret Santa gift on Christmas day, and was thrilled to find that someone made me... a fleece blanket! The attached card said, "This one's for YOU!" LoL I work with some awesome people. ;o)

And last but not least (and I do mean last, as I was still sewing them on Christmas eve day) I made the traditional Christmas pjs, five pair of flannel pants for the kids, and a pair of pajamas for my grandson, Aaron:


My youngest, Tim, thought the Carhart shirt and hat his older brother gave him were perfect with his pjs.


Overall, we had a great Christmas! Though I did end up with a mad case of tendonitis in my elbow, I didn't get sick as I usually do this time of year. Someone was watching out for me. ;o)

Now that the new year has begun, and my work hours have returned to part-time, I'm slowly but steadily getting my home and life back in order. If I'm still working next Christmas, though, I vow to do things a little bit differently. Like maybe starting on those pajamas a month or so earlier...

Wishing you all a peaceful and happy 2010!

12 comments:

Leslie - she sews and scraps said...

I am amazed at all your fleece quilts! WOW! you got a lot done, but especially I LOVE your santa panel, it's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing :)

ktquilts said...

I think that a month long nap is in order for you! You have been one busy girly!!
Blessings,
KT

Sara said...

Great fleece quilts...I enjoyed making those a few years ago...

Jean said...

Good to see you back!!!Now get to quilting!

Jessica said...

You were a busy lady! That is a lot of good looking projects.

SueWis said...

Really nice fleece blankets. I'm sure everyone loved them!

Look at those cuties with the new pajamas. So sweet!

Leslie said...

i love the matching jammies. i can not believe you made twenty blankets. that is amazing

Carla said...

Way to go creating all those fleece blankets! They all look so comfy too.

JessicaSews said...

Heather....look at all those fleece blankets! That's very productive!

I too, love those Santas! Makes a pretty wallhanging.


Hope 2010 is a wonderful year for you and your family!

Enjoy the sewing!
~Jes

Rene' said...

You have been busy!!!! Great projects. Love the fleece blankets. My favorite is your Santa panel. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

Wow you did quite a lot of christmas sewing in between working. Love the santa panel and the pyjamas are very cute.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow you have been incredibly busy. My family would all have loved those fleece blankets. The one I "made" was probably the biggest hit, and all I did was applique a short name on it. The Santa panel is beautiful. Loved the quilt you made for your secret Santa.