Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Book Awards Reading Challenge Results

The Book Awards Reading Challenge has come to an end, and I thought I should fess up and post my results: I didn't make it -- but I didn't totally blow it either. :-D

Of my original twelve challenge books, I read and reviewed the following:
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - Newbery Award 1978

Holes by Louis Sachar - Newbery Award 1999

Mariner's Compass by Earlene Fowler - Agatha Award 1999

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - Pulitzer Prize 1940

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo - Newbery Award 2004

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech - Newbery Award 1995

I also read the following, but never got around to reviewing (and since I likely never will, I loved them both and want to see the movies now):

The Color Purple by Alice Walker - Pulitzer Prize 1983

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - Pulitzer Prize 1961

So that leaves four challenge books unread, for now at least. It was a lot of fun attempting the challenge. I read some fantastic books that I otherwise might have missed. As an added bonus, I read two of the books alongside my daughter, who was reading them for her high school American Novels class. It was fun discussing the books with her and getting the viewpoint of a younger generation. All in all, a great experience, and one I'd like to repeat -- successfully -- one day.

One day, when I have nothing else to do but read...

I know, I know, dream on...

No comments: