Friday, April 18, 2008

A Sign of Spring


I was poking around in the garden yesterday, looking for signs of life... and I found one! Several, actually. Not the type I was expecting, but it was sure a nice surprise to see butterflies flitting about so soon after all that snow.

This species is new to me, so I'm searching through thumbnails at Butterflies and Moths of North America, trying to make an identification...


... hundreds of thumbnails later, I may have found it! I think it's a Mourning Cloak butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa). I sent my photo and sighting info to the state coordinator at the site, so we'll see if I get a for-sure confirmation. Looks pretty close, though -- only mine's prettier. lol Amazing how easy it is to get completely sidetracked with a thing like this!

No comments: