Friday, February 15, 2008

Showered with Love

So yesterday was my birthday. I don't know why I always dread my birthday. It has nothing to do with age. It's more a discomfort with being the center of attention, I think. Yet I am so lucky to have a family that showers me with love on this one day each year. Of course, they love me every day, but on my birthday, they bend over backwards to show me just how much. And not everyone is so fortunate. Yes, I am truly blessed!

I woke up to a text message from my oldest son, already two hours into his workday, he took a minute to send a "Happy Birthday, Mom -- and Happy Valentine's Day!" Aww... put a smile on my face, as I shuffled the younger kids out to the bus. Later in the day, I picked up my mom and we went to lunch, and then shopping for my birthday gift -- a new desk chair -- which I love! I came back home to find a voicemail on the phone. It was the entire high school choir, singing "happy birthday" to me, followed by my 18-year-old daughter saying, "Happy birthday, Mom. I love you!" Can you beat that?

When hubby got home from work, there were more surprises:


And though he disagrees, I'm pretty sure this is the first time he has ever baked me a birthday cake, in 21 years of marriage. Regardless, this meant more to me than even the cards and roses. Here he is, after a long hard day at work, slaving away in the kitchen just for ME.


Tim was in charge of sprinkles:



And if that weren't enough, I was showered with more gifts. A shiatsu massage cushion from hubby, a gorgeous leather jacket from my daughter, Kaitlin, an adorable singing lion from my son, Nathan, a Norah Jones CD from younger daughter, Emily, and a set of earrings from Tim, the youngest. I feel SO loved!

Now, how could I have actually dreaded my birthday???

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow - what a great birthday! Sounds like you have a very creative family! The choir birthday song was a brilliant idea!