Saturday, February 23, 2008

Photo Hunt #98: Wooden


Ever since I saw that the Photo Hunt theme for this week is "wooden," I've had this song stuck in my head. It's one of my father-in-law's standards:

*Wooden Heart (Muss I Denn)

Can't you see
I love you
Please don't break my heart in two
That's not hard to do
'Cause I don't have a wooden heart
And if you
say goodbye
Then I know that I would cry
Maybe I would die
'Cause I don't have a wooden heart
There's no strings upon this love of mine
It was always you from the start
Treat me nice
Treat me good
Treat me like you really should
'Cause I'm not made of wood
And I don't have a wooden heart

Muss i denn, muss i denn
Zum Stadtele hinaus
Stadtele hinaus
Und du, mein schat, bleibst hier?

There's no strings upon this love of mine
It was always you from the start
Sei mir gut
Sei mir gut
Sei mir wie du wirklich sollst
Wie du wirklich sollst
'Cause I don't have a wooden heart

*Created by Fred Wise, Ben Weisman, Kay Twomey and Bert Kaempfert

Probably the most well-known version of this song is the 1960 recording by Elvis Presley, for the film, G.I. Blues. It was released in the United States in 1964, two years before I was born...

...which is probably why I am most familiar with the way it's sung by my father-in-law, Bill. Before I met him, I had never heard Wooden Heart. Now, it gets stuck in my head at the mere mention of the word, "wooden." Thanks, Bill. ;o)

I certainly don't have a wooden heart, in the metaphoric sense. However, I was born on Valentine's day, so I've amassed quite a collection of hearts in my lifetime; ceramic hearts, metal hearts, heart pillows, heart boxes, heart dishes, heart textiles, you name it. The photos above show just a few of the wooden ones.

Join the Photo Hunt!

13 comments:

tx sweetie said...

sounds sweet here.i love that song too! your wooden hearts are just gorgeous.HAPPY HUNTING.

I have a wooden Harley Davidson motorcycle you should check it out too

Wooden Harley Davidson motorcycle

ancient one said...

Don't know the song.. but sure loved your wooden hearts!!

**"Liza"** said...

Those are cute wooden hearts..Very nice entry for this week hunt.Have a wonderful weekend.;)

My so called life
Life's Impression

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, creative post to go with the theme! I love this, thanks for taking the time to post the words to the song!

mjsterling said...

Ohhh wow pretty wooden heart..sweet
Wooden Staircase
Wooden Doorway

maryt/theteach said...

Great post! I'm familiar with the song only because of the movie "G.I. Blues" with Elvis. Happy PH! :)

 gmirage said...

I love that song! Now I'm singing it in my head! Great take on the theme too, and a FIL also has a wooden guitar! Happy photohunting!

sammawow said...

Wow, what a terrific story to go with the wooden theme for today! And love those wooden hearts too! I have not heard that song but will look for it online.

LivG said...

Very nice! Thanks for visiting me!

Anonymous said...

I actually do remember this song! Not one of Elvis' best singing performances tho, too high pitchy for him. But a very cute puppett show!

Carol E. said...

I just tagged you. Check it out at my blog.

Katney said...

Looks like you have quite a few wooden hearts in your collection.

Dragonstar said...

Lovely "wooden" post. Those hearts are great - good job you like hearts! Thanks for the words of the song - I often sing it to myself, but I get stuck and end up going "lalala,lalala" a lot!