Monday, October 1, 2007

Weighing In On Weighing In

When I’m actively working to lose weight, I’m addicted to my bathroom scale. Though I know I’m only supposed to weigh in once a day (if that), I’m on the scale morning, noon and night. But that’s not the real problem.

The problem is, when I stop the diet and try to maintain my weight, weighing-in goes out the window. I’m at that point now, and I have to fight myself to check out that number at least once a week. This is how I have managed to lose and re-gain the same 30-40 pounds at least three times in the past five years.

Knowing that yo-yo dieting is worse than being overweight, I’m determined to put a stop to this unhealthy pattern. Between April and August of this year, I managed to shed 40 pounds (again). I actually have another 10-15 to lose to reach my goal weight, but somewhere in early September, I lost all enthusiasm for my routines – just when I need them the most! So today I’m on a mission to regain that enthusiasm, and not only maintain the weight I’ve lost, but rid myself of those last few pounds. And it all begins with that bathroom scale.

As of this morning, I’m up two pounds. Not all that much I suppose, until I think about how two pounds a month will soon add up to 40 (and I do NOT miss those 40 pounds!). So I’m challenging myself today to find some semblance of the routines that served me so well throughout the summer. Today I will take my vitamins, drink my water and get back on that treadmill. Having put it in writing, I am holding myself accountable. I’m determined that this time, it’s for good.

2 comments:

Jean said...

You can do it, Heather! You are doing so well to lose that much, I have lost about 14 this year, not so hot, but I am almost down to another 10.....as in 40s. 50s. 60s, those tens. Anyway, slow but sure is my goal, I guess, since that is how it is happening!lol

Love your quilt, by the way.
Jean

Heather said...

Thanks, Jean! And you can be very proud of those 14 pounds -- I know how they like to hang on! lol I think slow and steady is the best way. But it sure does seem to be a never-ending battle sometimes. (sigh)

I'm still fighting myself getting back on top of things here. Somehow that treadmill is just not calling my name! lol