Thursday, October 18, 2007

Finding the Good

"This week’s triple-dare is to show some self-love. All too often, we beat ourselves up, put ourselves down, etc. So this week, I triple-dare you to find the good in yourself. List 10 great things about YOU."

This is the toughest dare yet, but it’s also timely, as I’ve been pretty hard on myself lately. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m an all-or-nothing type, and that being so is rather self-destructive. Take my diet, for example. When I diet, I do it hardcore. I don’t stray from the guidelines an inch. This results in losing weight, feeling great, a happy, accomplished attitude… until the inevitable day when I fall off course. Let’s face it, no one can maintain a “perfect” diet forever.

Once I’ve broken the diet, I give up. Completely. And then I beat myself up over it.

I do this in other areas, too. It’s a form of perfectionism (though no one would look around my home and accuse me of being a perfectionist). Worst of all, it’s self-defeating. There is no such thing as human “perfection.” So I’m trying to break the all-or-nothing habit. My new credo is “all things in moderation.” I’m getting on the treadmill every day, taking my vitamins and making sure to drink my water, though my diet is still less than ideal. (Why I’ve actually gained three pounds with these changes baffles me, but… whatever. It has to be an improvement.) The challenge is in focusing on my accomplishments, however small.

Just recognizing this trait is progress. I don’t have to do everything “just so.” As Stuart Smalley would say, “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!” So without further ado, here are ten great things about me:

1. I am caring, empathetic and soft-hearted.
2. I am a born mediator, usually able to see both sides of an issue.
3. I am non-judgmental.
4. I am creative.
5. I enjoy making people happy.
6. I generally look for the bright side of things.
7. I have my opinions, but am still open-minded.
8. I am helpful.
9. I am determined. Once I set my mind on something, I tend to get it done.
10. I’m (usually) humble. ;o)

(Image above courtesy of Microsoft Office Online.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did such a great job with this!

Heather said...

Thanks, Angela! It was a great dare. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Great Post!! I am going to do this right now!!

Heather said...

Thanks, Jeff! I look forward to reading yours. ;o)