Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait (Part One)

Over the past several years, I've had the pleasure of taking part in a number of quilting round robins with online friends. These robins can progress in various ways; by rows, by blocks, and sometimes beginning as a center block with each new quilter adding another border around it. Sometimes it takes months before your round robin returns, but it's always worth the wait. A center block like this...


Comes back home looking like this...


Finally finished, this one became our bed quilt...


This block...


Now hangs on our living room wall...


Pictures can be deceiving. This "wall hanging" is actually 50 inches square. My father-in-law made the quilt hanger just for this quilt, as a birthday gift to me. :o)

And this one...


Came home looking like this...


And I finished it into a lap quilt for my daughter's birthday...


These are just a few of my round robins that have happily come home to roost, but mailing quilts all over the country can be risky. It's rare, but every so often, for whatever the reason, a round robin goes out and never comes back.

A couple of years ago, I was offered a spot in a round robin with a group of ladies I've known online for many years. I happened to have some very uninspiring solid blue and gold fabrics I had purchased for a graduation quilt for my son, and had never come up with any idea how to use. Maybe a few more creative minds added to the mix would spark something great, I thought. I chose a block pattern for the center and sent it off...


Unfortunately, this one never came home.

Continue to Part Two.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Well...I'm sorry to hear that one never came back...as I was anxious to see what it became when it "grew up". The others are very lovely.

Jean said...

These are very pretty, I think some were done with CQ as I have seen them before.